Posted by : bmahfood Monday, August 27, 2012

Here's an interesting thought: It doesn't seem strange when someone attempts to change their level of physical fitness through diet and exercise, but how many people do you know who are attempting to develop their emotional fitness? I mean in a systematic way that is based on sound science? If they're out there, I don't know them personally, or at least they don't talk about it,

Granted, transforming your body from morbidly obese to lean and hard is easily apparent to others, while transforming your internal state is far less so by definition, except as the change manifests itself in the way you behave. But isn't it true that people who get to know you in a more meaningful way can also recognize and appreciate an emotionally fitter you? And even more important, can't you?

I've made a lot of progress toward my goal of becoming physically lean and hard. I've lost 127 pounds so far, gone from a 52 inch waist to a 34. I'll be at my goal when I'm a 32, so I'm not there yet. But in spite of that progress, it seems to me that I can also engage in a different kind of diet and exercise, one that will enhance my emotional fitness. And I can go about it in a systematic way that is based on sound scientific evidence.

What is emotional fitness? There's no chart to tell me how much I should reduce my selfishness, anxiety or laziness, nor is there a measuring device to tell me how big my empathy and compassion are getting. But I can recognize what needs to be reduced and what needs to be enhanced, and I can find some means of cutting out the things in my life that destroy my emotional health and instead practicing more of those activities that build up my emotional fitness.

I look forward to sharing what I find as I embark on this journey toward a different kind of lean and hard. I hope you'll find it interesting and helpful.

Follow me on Twitter. Please subscribe to our RSS feed or sign up for free email updates.

{ 1 comments... read them below or add one }

  1. I have a self administered Emotional Fitness Test that gives you much to think about. Not research verified, just what I have learned developing Emotional Fitness Training Inc. programs. http://emotionalfitnesstraining.com/about-emotional-fitness-training/

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

- Copyright © Lean and Hard -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -