Posted by : bmahfood Sunday, July 28, 2013

Hemera/Thinkstock
We've all heard of "the wall." It's a physiological and emotional barrier faced by marathon runners, typically at about the 20-mile mark of the race. Scientifically, it has to do with glycogen depletion. Here's an excellent description from HowStuffWorks:
Hitting the wall, at its core, could just as aptly be called glycogen depletion onset. It's less graphic, but more scientifically accurate. Glycogen is a variety of glucose that the body stores to produce energy. Think of it as the fuel for your body's engine. Your muscles need it, and your brain thrives on it. Unfortunately, there is a limited supply of glycogen that your muscles and liver can stockpile -- about 2,000 calories to be exact. [sources: Latta, Galloway]
The average runner burns approximately 100 calories per mile. It's no coincidence that many endurance athletes describe hitting the wall at the 20-mile mark of the marathon. That's the point at which 2,000 calories of glycogen fuel have been exhausted, resulting in an overwhelming feeling of heaviness in the legs, a lack of concentration and even feelings of outright despair.
There's a similar experience I face often. Maybe you do too. Some days, at around 4 PM, I start having discouraging thoughts about my planned workout at 6. I start thinking, "What's the point? Why am I doing this? Why not just go straight home and pig out? Who cares? I can make up for it later." Etc., etc., etc.

Perhaps it has to do with my blood-sugar levels, in which case a small snack can renew my determination to stay fit. At other times the cause is less clear cut and the solution more elusive than consuming an energy bar. Sometimes I just have to push through it. Or more in line with the metaphor, climb over it.

What I know in the rational part of my mind is that the feelings of futility are not justified by my reality. And better, I know that they are temporary. I know that once I change into my workout clothes and step up to the elliptical, with good workout music coming through my headset, I'll feel better.

So climb the wall, friends, and see how beautiful it is on the other side!

Follow me on Twitter. Please subscribe to our RSS feed or sign up for free email updates.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Popular Posts

- Copyright © Lean and Hard -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -